The President’s Profile
This is the Southern African Quality Assurance Network President.
Prof. Stephen Simukanga
Director General Higher Education Authority in Zambia
Prof Stephen Simukanga is the Director General of the Higher Education Authority in Zambia. He served as treasurer on the Executive Committee of the Southern African Quality Assurance Network (SAQAN) from 2019 – 2021.
Academic and Professional Qualifications: B. Min.SC, M. Min.SC, PhD, CEng, FIMMM, FSAIMM, FEIZ, FTWAS, REng.
He has wide experience in higher and tertiary education continentally and globally which includes working as:
- Vice-Chancellor of the University of Zambia from July 2007 to June 2015;
- Professor/lecturer/Researcher in the School of Mines in Metallurgy and Mineral Processing at the University of Zambia for 23 years;
- Visiting lecturer at the University of Cape Town and University of Zimbabwe;
- Chairperson of the UbuntuNet Alliance since 2018;
- Coordinator of the Mineral Resources Unit of the United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa, at the School of Mines of the University of Zambia from 2003 to 2015; and
- Chairperson and board member for various local and international organisations.
Prof Simukanga holds a PhD in Process Metallurgy from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, UK. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, and a Chartered Engineer of the Engineering Council of the United Kingdom. He is also a fellow of both the South African Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and the Engineering Institution of Zambia. He is conferred with a distinguished title of fellow of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in 2018.
Higher Education Authority
Mukuba Pension House, Dedan Kimathi Road
P.O Box 50795, Lusaka, Zambia
Cell: +260 979 510480